In the last few days, I have had 3 of my closest friends and family come to me suffering from anxiety-none of them knowing I had suffered so many times in my life with anxiety and it's awful attacks. There are few things that make my heart ache more than for one of God's beloved to suffer from this life stealing condition. I knew that it was time to stop holding in my testimony and help them (and all of you) finally free from anxiety. Once and for all.
SO WHAT IS ANXIETY?
Many times, we equate it to fear. However, its root is completely different.
FEAR=response to a real or immediate threat
ANXIETY=expectation of future threat
Here I am soaked in sweat, shaking, unable to sleep, speak, function in the world over something that MIGHT happen. I was expecting the worst in every situation of my life. And my expectations of future threat were suffocating me.
What if my husband leaves me?
What if that person hurts me?
What if I am not good enough for my job?
What if I am not enough at anything?
What will they think if I say/do/wear that?
Dear sister, if this is you-know that God did not place any of those anxieties in you, and there is nothing wrong with you. You're not going crazy (trust me, there were days I was sure I was).
Once I discovered the true meaning, I could see that anxiety was clearly a spiritual attack on the mind.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of the dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil, in the heavenly realms."
The enemy fears nothing more than who you will become when you fearlessly believe God's promises
SO HOW DO I OVERCOME IT?
Maybe you've tried to pray and beg God to take it away from you. Maybe you've tried counseling. Maybe you've even tried medication. I tried it all. In the very next verse after figuring out WHERE anxiety was coming from, I found the true answer on HOW to overcome it.
"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."
This is a great place to study the full armor of God because life requires it, but I want to focus on verse 17 where we find the weapon we will use to combat anxiety-the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Sisters-we must learn the power of declaring the word of God over every area of our lives!
Why is this so important? Well, let's take notes from the one and only Jesus himself. In Matthew 4, Jesus was led into the wilderness and was tempted by the enemy. Here Jesus is, without food and drink for 40 days in the middle of nowhere with an enemy attacking his very identity. My bible doesn't say anything about Jesus worrying "what if this happens?!?", "maybe he's right-I'm not the Son of God", or making a bed of dirt and staying in it all day....NO! He spoke right back to the enemy with the all powerful word of God!
"Jesus said to him, 'Away from me satan! For it is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.' Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him."
Find every verse you can about anxiety and begin to declare what your Father says about it and you. Let it sink deep down in your heart. Make it personal. Memorize it. Make the verse a declaration
Below is a list of declarations you can use to get you started. *Again, remember I have personalized these from scripture. Look up the actual scripture as well.
WEAPONS TO DEFEAT ANXIETY
1. Father, you tell me I can cast all my anxiety on you because you care for me. Here are all my anxieties.....
1 Peter 5:7
2. I will be anxious for nothing. In every situation, I will pray and give thanks, giving my requests to God. And the peace of God, which is beyond understanding, will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. I will think of only things that are true, pure, lovely, excellent, and praiseworthy.
3. I will not fear, for God is with me. I will not be dismayed, because He is my God. He will strengthen me and help me. He will hold me up with His righteous hand.
4. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for God is with me.
5. I will not worry about my life. I will not worry about money, food, my body, my clothes. Life is so much more than these things.
6. I am confident that the one who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
7. In my distress, I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. He hears my voice.
8. I cast my cares on the Lord, and He sustains me. He will never let the righteous be shaken.
9. If God is for me, who can be against me??
10. In total peace, I will lie down and sleep. For you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
We can have all confidence this will overcome anxiety because "No word from God will ever fail."
Wanna pray about it?
We thank you that you have given us everything we need to overcome anxiety. We thank you for your word. From this day forward, we will use it as a weapon to defeat any attacks of the enemy. We thank you for your peace covering each and every reader at this very moment. Let the warmth of your hand on their minds and hearts calm every thought and feeling right now. We submit, once and for all, every part of ourselves. Our future is in your hands, not ours. We can't carry the weight of these thoughts. But you can. We praise you for your wonder working power. In Jesus name. Amen.